Master’s Admissions & Planning
Master’s Admission Recommendations
Note: Students who hold only a Bachelor’s degree may be admitted directly to the Ph.D. program. If you are interested in the Ph.D. program, click here.
Undergraduate Degree Required
- Master of Science in Engineering (MSE)
Admission to this degree program requires a Bachelor’s degree in engineering from a recognized institution.
- Master of Science (MS)
Admission to this degree program requires a Bachelor’s degree in either mathematics, science or another undergraduate program from a recognized institution.
Read more about Master’s Requirements.
Most of our classes require and assume that the students are knowledgeable in one or more of the following subjects: linear algebra, calculus-based probability, calculus-based statistics, and computer programming. If you are admitted to the master or PhD programs, the department will provide a list of descriptions of University of Michigan courses frequently used to satisfy these prerequisites to help you ascertain your knowledge of the above topics, and, if needed, attain the necessary background. We will provide an opportunity to review the highlights of these subjects together with your fellow entering students before the fall semester begins. We will also recommend classes at the University of Michigan if you prefer to take them during your graduate studies.
Test Of English As A Foreign Language – (TOEFL)
- Foreign applicants whose native language is not English or does NOT have a degree from an English speaking institution, must provide evidence of either a “Test of English as a Foreign Language” (TOEFL) score, scores on the IELTS, ECPE and MET exams, or take the “English Proficiency Test for Foreign Students” administered by the English Language Institute at The University of Michigan. Upon entering the IOE graduate program, a student who has been determined by the Graduate Admissions Committee to have a deficiency in spoken or written English, is required to:
- take the verbal and written English tests given by ELI (English Language Institute);
- report the results to the IOE graduate program advisor, and
- abide by any recommendation made by his or her counselor or the Graduate Program Advisor for remedial coursework.
GPA/Test Score Guidelines
Grades: Graduate students must maintain a B average to graduate. The minimum grade point average for admission to the MS program is 3.0. This minimum may be adjusted upward or downward based on the undergraduate institution and degree. Also, grades in advanced courses related to those that will be taken in the graduate program may be weighted more heavily than grades in other courses. Your personal statement should include an explanation if there are extenuating circumstances that affect interpretation of your grades.
IOE highly prefers the TOEFL exam but will consider MELAB and IELTS.
Letters Of Recommendation
- All of your documents should be scanned and submitted electronically, including electronic submission of the recommendation letters from your recommenders, who will receive submission links and instructions once you enter their email addresses in the online application system.
Deadlines To Submit Applications
|Master’s Program/SUGS Admissions Deadlines|
|International||International in U.S. or U.S. citizen|
|Winter 2023||October 1, 2022||October 1, 2022|
|Fall 2023||January 15, 2023||January 15, 2023|
Please send requests to: email@example.com