Master’s admissions and planning

Four students watch a professor teach
Photo credit: Erin Kirkland / Michigan Photography

Degrees Offered

  • Master of Science in Engineering (MSE)
    Admission to this degree program requires a Bachelor’s degree in engineering from a recognized institution.
  • Master of Science (MS)
    Admission to this degree program requires a Bachelor’s degree in either mathematics, science or another undergraduate program from a recognized institution.

Students who hold only a Bachelor’s degree may be admitted directly to the PhD program. If you are interested in the PhD program visit this page.

Read more about master’s requirements.

Deadlines to submit applications

Master’s program/SUGS admissions deadlines
InternationalInternational in U.S. or U.S. citizen
Winter 2024October 1, 2023October 1, 2023
Fall 2024January 15, 2024January 15, 2024

Course prerequisites

Most of our classes require and assume that the students are knowledgeable in one or more of the following subjects: Linear algebra, calculus-based probability, calculus-based statistics and computer programming.

If you are admitted to the University of Michigan Industrial and Operations Engineering (U-M IOE) Master’s or PhD program, the department will provide a list of descriptions that the University of Michigan courses frequently used to satisfy these prerequisites to help you ascertain your knowledge of the above topics, and, if needed, attain the necessary background.

We will provide an opportunity to review the highlights of these subjects together with your fellow entering students before the fall semester begins. We will also recommend classes at the University of Michigan if you prefer to take them during your graduate studies.

Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)

Foreign applicants whose native language is not English or does NOT have a degree from an English-speaking institution, must provide evidence of one of the following:

  • Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score
  • Scores on the IELTS, ECPE and MET exams
  • Or take the English Proficiency Test for Foreign Students administered by the English Language Institute at The University of Michigan.

Upon entering the U-M IOE graduate program, a student who has been determined by the Graduate Admissions Committee to have a deficiency in spoken or written English is required to:

  • Take the verbal and written English tests given by ELI (English Language Institute);
  • Report the results to the U-M IOE Graduate Program Advisor, and
  • Abide by any recommendation made by his or her counselor or the Graduate Program Advisor for remedial coursework.

U-M IOE highly prefers the TOEFL exam but will consider MELAB and IELTS. For additional questions about the TOEFL visit this page.

GPA/test score guidelines

Graduate students must maintain a B average to graduate. The minimum grade point average for admission to the MS program is 3.0. This minimum may be adjusted upward or downward based on the undergraduate institution and degree.

Grades in advanced courses related to those that will be taken in the graduate program may be weighted more heavily than grades in other courses. Your personal statement should include an explanation if there are extenuating circumstances that affect the interpretation of your grades.

Letters of recommendation

All of your documents should be scanned and submitted electronically, including electronic submission of the recommendation letters from your recommenders, who will receive submission links and instructions once you enter their email addresses in the online application system.

Tuition and fees

To view estimated tuition please visit the U-M tuition and fees page. Please ensure you’ve selected the following criteria for each category:

College/School: College of Engineering

Full or Half Term: Full Term

Level of Study: Graduate

After you’ve ensured the correct fields are selected click “Apply” then scroll down to “Rackham Tuition” and “Mandatory Fees”

The tuition and fees numbers are estimated costs. This tool is meant to give you a general idea of the cost of attendance.

Financial aid

Partial and full fellowships are available to select U.S. Citizens and Permanent Residents through U-M Industrial and Operations Engineering (IOE). You will automatically be considered for a U-M IOE fellowship when you submit your application. 

In addition, the U-M IOE Occupational Safety Engineering (OSE) and Ergonomics program provides fellowships to select eligible students. To indicate interest in a fellowship from the Occupational Safety Engineering and Ergonomics program, select “Health & Human Safety” on the master’s application. Interested applicants should include relevant experiences within Occupational Health Safety and Ergonomics in their personal statement and transcript. 

Fellowship recipients will be notified on a rolling basis.

Additional information

Please send requests to: [email protected]