IOE ABET Information
We advance scientific and mathematical methods to help solve local and global challenges. We analyze data to improve decision making and shape systems comprised of humans, machines, and processes. We educate and mentor students, emphasizing critical thinking, global citizenship, and the pursuit of the common good.The Industrial and Operations Engineering Department aims to be an international leader in developing and teaching theory and methods for the design, analysis, implementation, and improvement of integrated systems of people, materials, information, facilities, and technology.
- To recruit, educate, and support excellent, diverse students and prepare them to be leaders in the practice and further development of industrial and operations engineering.
- To have one of the leading undergraduate programs in the world in industrial and operations engineering.
- To engender the skills and desire to continually learn and grow through a lifelong professional career.
The Educational Objectives of the Industrial and Operations Engineering Program are as follows: A graduate of the UM undergraduate program will be prepared to generate value for society through a lifetime of technical and professional creativity. Our graduates will display reasoning skills and proficiency in problem definition, problem solving and quantitative expertise, a respect for measurement and data, teamwork skills, and awareness of social and ethical issues. Our graduates will use these skills to achieve the following objectives within a few years of graduation:
- Launch a successful career by effectively practicing industrial and operations engineering or in another field that utilizes what has been learned or be successful in advanced graduate study in engineering, scientific, business or related disciplines;
- Assume leadership roles in their first job or graduate program;
- Contribute to the social and economic environment of their communities and societies;
- Have the breadth of knowledge and motivation to continue to develop their career skills through ongoing learning.
All Industrial and Operations Engineering graduates should have:
- An ability to identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics.
- An ability to apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors.
- An ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences.
- An ability to recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts.
- An ability to function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives.
- An ability to develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions.
- An ability to acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies.