Admissions Requirements

Program Requirements

Transferring to the University of Michigan? Please see the College of Engineering Recruitment and Admissions webpages for transfer students and view the transfer-specific program requirements.

The University of Michigan Industrial and Operations (U-M IOE) department is one of the most outstanding in the country, with consistent national rankings among the top departments in the United States. The number of students that graduate with a BSE, MSE, and/or a PhD places Michigan among the leaders and best.

How do I declare my major as IOE?
First, make sure you fulfill the requirements. Then you can schedule an appointment with our Undergraduate Advisor, Leonora Lucaj, or a U-M IOE Peer Advisor.

What are the requirements to declare?
Students can declare or change into any undergraduate engineering major if they have completed at least one full term of courses on the U-M Ann Arbor campus, have an overall U-M GPA of 2.0 or better in courses taken at the U-M Ann Arbor campus and be in good standing, and have completed or earned credit by exam or transfer for at least one course in each of these categories:

  • Calculus (e.g. Math 115, 116 or 156)
  • Calculus-based physics lectures (e.g. Physics 140 or 160) or chemistry lectures (e.g. Chemistry 130 or 210)
  • Required engineering courses (Engineering 100, 101 or 151)
  • A grade of C or better is required in the core math/science courses