- Healthcare Operations
- Ergonomics & Human Factors
- Musculoskeletal Disorders
- Occupational Health & Safety
- Work Measurement
Professor Keyserling is responsible for courses in ergonomics and safety engineering. He also teaches a course on oral and written technical communication for IOE Ph.D. students. His research interests include evaluating and predicting work posture, controlling posture related fatigue and injuries through improved workstation design, enhancing work measurement techniques to evaluate ergonomic stresses in the workplace, safety culture, and safety/ergonomic issues in maintenance operations. Professor Keyserling serves as the IOE Graduate Program Chair and is the Deputy Director of the NIOSH-sponsored University of Michigan Center for Occupational Health and Safety Engineering. He is a reviewer for several journals, a member of IIE, ASSE, and AIHA, a Certified Safety Professional and a Certified Professional Ergonomist.
- Keyserling, W.M., “A Computer-aided System to Evaluate Postural Stress in the Workplace, “Am. Ind. Hyg. Assoc. J., 47: 641-649, 1986.
- Punnett, L., Fine, L.J., Keyserling, W.M., Herrin, G.D., and Chaffin ,D.B. “Back Disorders and Non-neutral Trunk Postures of Automobile Assembly Workers,” Scandinavian Journal of Work Environment and Health, 17:337-346, 1991.
- Keyserling, W.M., Brouwer, M. L. and, Silverstein, B.A. “The Effectiveness of a Joint Labor-Management Program in Controlling Awkward Postures of the Trunk, Neck, and Shoulders: Results of a Field Study,” Int. J. Industrial Ergonomics, 11: 51-65, 1993.
- Keyserling, W.M., Monroe, K.A., Woolley, C.B. and Ulin, S.S. “Ergonomic Considerations in Trucking Delivery Operations: An Evaluation of Hand Trucks and Ramps,” Am Ind. Hyg. Assoc. J., 60:22-31, 1999.
- Keyserling, W.M., Ulin, S.S., Lincoln, A.P., and Baker, S., “Development of an evidence-based ergonomics intervention program in an automotive service parts distribution operation,” American Industrial Hygiene Association Journal, 64:690-698, 2003.
- Keyserling, W.M., Sudarsan, S.P., Martin, B.J., Haig, A.J., Armstrong, T.J. “Effects of Low Back Disability Status on Lower Back Discomfort During Sustained and Cyclical Trunk Flexion,” Ergonomics, 48:219-233, 2005.
- Keyserling, W.M. and Smith, G.S. “A new look at Haddon’s Pre-event: Using process control concepts to model energy release in sudden-onset occupational injuries,” Journal of Occupational and Environmental Health, 4:467-475, 2007.
- Keyserling, W.M., Wiggermann, N., Werner, R.A., and Gell, N. “Inter-worker Variability in Lower Body Postures During Assembly Line Work – Implications on Exposure Assessment,” J. Occ. Env. Hyg., 7:261:71, 2010.
- Gell N, Werner RA, Hartigan A, Wiggermann N., Keyserling WM. “Risk Factors for Lower Extremity Fatigue Among Assembly Plant Workers,” Am. J. Ind. Med, 54:216-223, 2011.
- Wiggermann, N. and Keyserling, W.M. “Effects of Flooring on Discomfort and Behavioral Responses During Prolonged Standing,” Human Factors, 55:4, 764-775, 2013.
- Wiggermann, N. and Keyserling, W.M. “Time to Onset of Pain: Effects on Magnitude and Location of Static Pressures Applied to the Plantar Foot,” Applied Ergonomics, 46:84-90, 2015.