Meet the female engineers leading the field of industrial and operations engineering research

The female engineers of the University of Michigan’s Industrial and Operations Engineering Department stand out for their profound impact on both academia and industry. As the world celebrates International Women in Engineering Day, we turn the spotlight to the women in our department reshaping the frontiers of industrial engineering, systems research, optimization and human ergonomics to create better…

The female engineers of the University of Michigan’s Industrial and Operations Engineering Department stand out for their profound impact on both academia and industry. As the world celebrates International Women in Engineering Day, we turn the spotlight to the women in our department reshaping the frontiers of industrial engineering, systems research, optimization and human ergonomics to create better solutions for all. 

Eunshin Byon

Texas A&M University, Industrial and Systems Engineering, PhD

KAIST, Industrial and Systems Engineering, BS & MS

Energy and sustainability

What I enjoy most about working in industrial engineering and operations research is the thrill of diving into complex challenges and devising innovative solutions to improve processes and optimize efficiency. Further, one aspect that truly excites me is the opportunity to utilize a diverse range of skills. From data analysis and mathematical modeling, the multidisciplinary nature of the work keeps me engaged and constantly learning.

Engineering is a diverse and dynamic field that benefits from the contributions of people from all backgrounds. By following your passion, staying true to yourself, and embracing opportunities for growth, you can thrive in a rewarding career in engineering.

Amy Cohn smiles and poses for a portrait.

MIT, Operations Research, PhD

Harvard University, Applied Mathematics, AB

Health and human safety

My undergrad advisor took me under his wing, got me involved in a research project, and connected me with his grad students — he literally changed my life! I hope that I can in some small way pay it back by giving other students opportunities to grow and learn.

Choose your own path! Sometimes we have to make tradeoffs and compromises, but keep checking back in with your own “requirement set” to ensure your day-to-day tasks support your life-long goals. And don’t let anyone else tell you what the “right” goals are!

Marina Epelman smiles and poses for a portrait.

MIT, Operations Research, PhD

Cornell University, Mathematics, BA

Health and human safety

I feel particularly rewarded when a former student in one of my classes emails me, sometimes many years after graduating, to say, “There was something that came up at work today, and it prompted me to dig up the notes from that class — I just wanted to let you know that I appreciated how you explained this concept back then!” Or something similar about a question I asked at their early research presentation or a project we worked on together. After working at U-M for 25 years, these small bits of feedback are still the most gratifying.

I like the opportunity that operations research provides for combining the two sides of my personality. On the one hand, you have the precision and abstraction of mathematics. On the other hand, you have a chance to have a direct impact on people’s lives, and think of the best way to communicate with decision-makers to get them to articulate what is important to them, and to explain your way of solving their problems.

Mariel Lavieri smiles and poses for a portrait.

University of British Columbia, Management Science, MS & PhD

University of Florida, Statistics, BA

Health and human safety

My godfather worked as an Industrial Engineer at Siemens, and I always thought the work he did was fascinating.

Don’t be afraid to ask for mentorship and be willing to give back. You can do it!

Joi Mondisa smiles and poses for a portrait.

Purdue University, Engineering Education, PhD

Purdue University, Industrial Engineering, MS

Governors State University, MBA

University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, General Engineering, BS

Engineering education

I attended an engineering camp in high school which exposed me to various types of engineering disciplines and career opportunities.

As an industrial engineer, I use a systems perspective to help identify challeges, gaps, and opportunities. I love that I am able to innovate on different ideas, and then translate what I’ve learned into practical applications.

Debra Levantrosser smiles and poses for a portrait.

Capella University, pursuing PhD (est. completion 2025)

Marist College, Health Care, MPA

Michigan State University, German, BA

Michigan State University, Political Science, BA

Lean Thinking and Engineering Management

Providing career advice to students who are transitioning from college to the working world is both impactful and personally satisfying. I try to guide them through this transition with advice they can take with them for the next 50 years.

Give it a shot! You just might love it! Connect with other women in the field to understand the wide variety of career options. The degree can take you to many industries and many functions within those industries. Honestly, there is something for everyone in IOE.

Siqian Shen smiles and poses for a portrait.

University of Florida, Industrial and Systems Engineering, PhD

Tsinghua University, Industrial Engineering, BS

Energy and sustainability & mobility and transportation networks

My dad is a factory worker and he is an excellent mechanic, and from my childhood memory, he made/fixed almost everything in our household, from clocks, to bicycles, to fishing poles. He always told me – to make things work, you need to understand math and physics, and he explained to me how he fixed things and why it works, and the maths behind those are fascinating.

I was searching major after my high school exam, and found the description about industrial systems engineering being “the science of better.” This concept sounds really interesting to me and after my undergraduate, master’s and PhD studies, all in the field of industrial engineering and operations research (IE/OR), I feel very fortunate choosing the major and have the “freedom” to work on different problems and applications (without restricting myself to a certain domain area) all towards solution improvement and optimization. I enjoy the subjects of math, physics, and computer science, and I also find psychology, behavioral studies, social science being very interesting. IE/OR is the research field that you can have all, via, e.g., building mathematical models, computational algorithms for improving societal problems.

Leia Stirling smiles and poses for a portrait.

MIT, Aerospace Engineering, PhD

University of Illinois, Aeronautical and Astronautical Engineering, MS & BS

Health and human safety

This questions is difficult for me as I find joy in so many aspects of my career. For me a recent highlight was a former student reaching out to me a decade after they took a class with me to share how they have used concepts I have taught them in their career. It means so much to me when students reconnect with me and I can get to learn about their path and how I have impacted them along the way.

Don’t think of yourself as a woman in engineering, you will be an engineer who is a woman. You will bring an important perspective to engineering problems that is needed to solve the challenges of today and tomorrow.

Oshin Tyagi smiles and poses for a portrait.

Texas A&M University, Industrial Engineering, MS & PhD

Indian Institute of Technology, Industrial Engineering and Business Technology, BS

Health and human safety

My father inspired me to become an engineer. When I was young, he would give me interesting problem statements and riddles to try and figure out. Other than developing my critical thinking skills, this experience developed my love for problem solving.

Find a mentor who supports and champions you.

Xi Jessie Yang smiles and poses for a portrait.

Nanyang Technological University, Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, MS & PhD

Nanyang Technological University, Electrical and Electronic Engineering, BS

Human-Autonomy Interaction

One achievement I’m really proud of in my engineering journey is daring to switch gears and pursue a different career path. Even though I graduated with a Bachelor’s in Electrical Engineering, I soon realized it wasn’t my cup of tea. So, I made a bold decision and shifted to Human Factors Engineering, which felt much more in tune with my interests. It was a big leap, but it’s led me to work I find truly fulfilling and exciting.

My advice is simple: Pursue what genuinely excites you. Don’t let anyone or anything hold you back from following your passion. Trust your instincts, explore different areas of engineering, and find what truly resonates with you.