Mohammad Zhalechian portrait

Mohammad Zhalechian receives the Richard F. and Eleanor A. Towner Prize for Distinguished Academic Achievement

This award is presented to an outstanding graduate student in each of the U-M College of Engineering degree programs.

University of Michigan Industrial and Operations Engineering (U-M IOE) Ph.D. student, Mohammad Zhalechian has received the Richard F. and Eleanor A. Towner Prize for Distinguished Academic Achievement.

This award, accompanied by a $1,000 stipend, is presented to an outstanding graduate student in each of the U-M College of Engineering degree programs. Criteria considered by the department awards committee includes the student’s active participation in research, leadership and academic performance (GPA).

Zhalechian’s U-M IOE faculty advisor is Mark Van Oyen. Zhalechian’s interests meet at the intersection of Statistical Machine Learning and Operations Research. His work targets real-world problems with much of his research focusing on the health care industry.

“I am deeply honored to receive this award. I sincerely thank everyone who has helped, supported and guided me during my Ph.D. studies, especially my advisor, mentors and colleagues.”

Mohammad Zhalechian
U-M IOE Ph.D. Student