Healthcare Quality Improvement
- Ergonomics & Human Factors
Occupational Health & Safety
- Operations Research Tools
Stochastic Opt. & Control
- Quality & Applied Statistics
Richard Hughes worked at the Washington State Department of Labor and Industries, National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, and completed a post-doctoral fellowship at the Mayo Clinic following the completion of his doctoral studies. He is also faculty in the Departments of Orthopaedic Surgery and Biomedical Engineering. He is director of the Laboratory for Optimization and Computation in Orthopaedic Surgery (LOCOS) and Co-Director of the Michigan Arthroplasty Registry Collaborative Quality Initiative (MARCQI).
- Boguski, R.M., Miller, B.S., Carpenter, J.E., and Mendenhall, S., and Hughes, R.E. (2013) Variation in use of reverse total shoulder arthroplasty across hospitals. Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery 22:1633-1638.
- Hwang, E., Carpenter, J.E., Hughes, R.E., and Palmer, M.L. (2014) Shoulder labral pathomechanics with rotator cuff tears. Journal of Biomechanics 47(7):1733-1738.
- Gatti, C.J., Hallstrom, B.R., and Hughes, R.E. (2014) Surgeon variability in total knee arthroplasty component alignment: A Monte Carlo analysis. Computer Methods in Biomechanics and Biomedical Engineering. 17(15):1738-1750.
- Hwang, E., Carpenter, J.E., Hughes, R.E., and Palmer, M.L. (2014) Effects of biceps tension and superior humeral head translation on the glenoid labrum. Journal of Orthopaedic Research 32(11):1424-9.
- Donnell, D.M.S., Seidelman, J.L., Mendias, C.L., Miller, B.S., Carpenter, J.E., and Hughes, R.E. (2014) A stochastic structural reliability model explains rotator cuff repair retears. International Biomechanics 1(1):29-35.
- Bach, S., Morrow, M.M., Zhao, K.D., and Hughes, R.E. (2015) Sex distribution of study samples reported in American Society of Biomechanics annual meeting abstracts. PLoS ONE, March 4. DOI:10.1371/journal.pone.0118797.
- Hughes, R.E., Hallstrom, B.R., Cowen, M.E., Igrisan, R.M., Singal, B.M., and Share, D.A. (2015) Michigan Arthroplasty Registry Collaborative Quality Initiative (MARCQI) as a model for regional registries in the United States. Orthopaedic Research and Reviews 7:47-56.
- Hwang, E., Palmer, M.L., Hughes, R.E., and Carpenter, J.E. (2015) Effect of biceps tension on the torn superior glenoid labrum. Journal of Orthopaedic Research 33(10):1545-51 PMID: 25761123.