IOE Graduate School Workshop – Saturday, September 21, 2019
Join us for a one-day interactive workshop to learn about how you can launch your career and change the world with a graduate degree in Industrial and Operations Engineering!
This workshop is aimed at undergraduate students and others within 1–2 years of applying to graduate programs. To apply, you do not have to be majoring in engineering; students with Computer Science, Math, Physics, Statistics, and other backgrounds are welcome.
This workshop offers direct access to faculty, staff, and graduate students from the IOE department at the University of Michigan, who are looking forward to providing you with information and answering your questions about studies and career paths in the field of Industrial and Operations Engineering. We will cover topics of graduate school applications and admissions, research, life on campus, funding, and much more!
Through presentations, panel discussions, and mixers for all participants, you will have the opportunity to:
- Discover Industrial and Operations Engineering as a field (educational, research, and career opportunities)
- Meet fellow prospective IOE students as well as IOE faculty, staff, and graduate students
- Learn about the research activities of our faculty and current students
- Explore professional opportunities for IOE Ph.D. graduates
- Tour the department and campus
- Learn about the application and admissions process
- Get advice on Ph.D. applications: What do faculty look for in an application? What can you do to strengthen your application? What should you think about when deciding where to apply and which offer to accept?
- Hear about graduate work and graduate student life from current students
|8:15 AM||Arrive to IOE Dept.|
|8:30 – 9:00||Welcome and Introductions (IOE 1680)|
|9:00 – 11:00||Learn about research areas of our faculty and graduate students (IOE 1680)|
|11:00 – 11:15||Break|
|11:15 – 12:00||Alumni Panel|
|12:00 – 1:00 PM||Lunch with faculty, students, alumni|
|1:00 – 1:30||Presentation: studying in the PhD program|
|1:30 – 2:00||Presentation: PhD application and admissions process|
|2:00 – 2:15||Break|
|2:15 – 3:00||Grad Student Panel|
|3:00 – 3:30||Presentation: some advice on writing a strong statement of purpose for your application|
|3:30 – 5:00||Feedback on descriptions of research experiences and interests|
|5:00 – 6:00||Tour U-M campus via Golden Limo Bus Charter|
|6:00 – 9:00||Dinner and continued conversations at Revel & Roll/Bowlero Social (group activity)|